Ice cream has always been a key snack and dessert in my childhood. I can easily remember those hot summer days where I would simply put my hand into the freezer and feed on these decadent chocolate, vanilla and caramel flavoured ice cream, whether they were store-bought or traditionally made. However, they did contain a lot of refined sugar, cream and ingredients I no longer want to swallow.
Now that the warm weather seemed to have cast its massive and boiling veil over us, I felt like revisiting these amazingly refreshing childhood ice creams, but with a healthy twist this time. And believe me, they will feel like a relief in the sweltering heat!
These popsicles are so delightfully creamy and insanely rich and tasty, you would not believe what’s happening to you when biting into one of them. They are vegan, raw, full of amazingly healthy and whole ingredients. Do not be afraid of the strange ingredients that you may found, they just all merge perfectly together, and render the popsicles even creamier, healthier and more delectable.
What is fabulous about them is that they are incredibly filling, a feeling I would not have after eating a “normal ice cream”, and in this they make a wonderful afternoon snack. They are also magical as a post-dinner dessert. You could eat them on their own, naked and natural; but I like them better with a delicate dash of dark chocolate on top, and sprinkled with loads of different superfoods. I do admit that the chopped nuts and cacao nibs ones are my favourites…which explain why I ate two of them in a row…Oups!
Cashews are a great source of copper, which is a mineral that helps our body metabolize iron, build bone and connective tissues and eliminate free radicals. It also helps other enzymes in producing energy and being useful antioxidants. Coconuts are highly nutritious, rich in many different vitamins, minerals, fibre and medium chain saturated fatty acids. The latter, once converted inside the body, are great antivirals and antibacterials that help protecting the organism from infections and viruses. And raw cacao powder is a great is a fantastic energy-boosting food, improve your memory, increase your bliss and contains 20 times more antioxidant content than blueberries…no wonder Uncas considered it the drink of gods!
Healthy Chocolate Fudgesicles
Portions: For about 8 popsicles.
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
Freezing time: 6 hours at least or overnight.
For the popsicles:
- ½ ripe avocado, flesh only
- 50g of unroasted cashews
- 350ml of full-fat coconut milk
- 175g of Medjool dates, pitted
- 40g of raw, unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 pod of vanilla, the seeds, or 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- A few drops of food essentials oils (almond, cinnamon, peppermint, bergamot etc.) to replace the vanilla pod
- Finely chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios or even better, hazelnuts)
- Melted raw dark chocolate
- Bee Pollen
- Finely chopped nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios etc.)
- Chopped dried fruits (gogi berries, cranberries, raspberries etc.)
- Seeds (chia, sesame, hemp etc.)
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Cacao nibs
(1) Start by placing your cashews in lukewarm water and let soak for 4 to 8 hours, overnight is great.
(2) Drain the cashews and rinse well. Add them to a blender (a high-speed blender, such as a Magimix, is highly recommended here) along with the avocado flesh, the coconut milk, the medjool dates, the cacao powder, the vanilla and the pinch of salt. Blend on high speed until smooth and glossy (the mixture must be quite thick).
(3) Spoon your mixture in popsicle moulds, and carefully knock the moulds on the counter so that any air bubbles goes away. Insert a popsicle stick into each mould and freeze until set, at least t 6 hours.
(4) To remove your popsicles, run the moulds under hot water for a few seconds, until you can easily pull them out. To decorate, dip or drizzle with some melted chocolate, parachute a few toppings and then eat immediately or place them back in the freezer for a one of these sugar craving days!